The Nile Crocodile Farm, Prehistoric Predators.
Nile Crocodiles, Large adults to hatchlings at the Crocodile Farm
Ekala Eco Tours offer the Crocodile tour as a half day tour. Collection and drop off – O. R. Tambo airport or any other point – Johannesburg or Pretoria.
We can also ad many other wildlife options or other local tours to create a full day tour.
A commercial crocodile farm where informative guided tours provide an opportunity to observe one of the world’s oldest predators at a close range. The farm houses more than 800 crocodiles, ranging from the large adults to the hatchlings, which can be held.
An educational program covers items of interest about the crocodiles and their environment.
Feeding generally take place over the weekend at 14:00. A curio shop on site with wide variety of souvenirs.
Crocodile tour is an experience that will be remembered for life.
Predator Fact Sheet:
Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus Niloticus)
Origin: Africa Length: 6.2m head to tail Weight: 225kg Diet: mainly catfish but prey on any vulnerable species – Can go without food for up to 8 months 66mm long conical teeth with a bite force of 22kN
Colouring: dark green in colour with bands of darker green on the tail. They can remain submerged for up to 30minutes if threatened and up to 2 hours if totally inactive Life span: 45 years in the wild and 80 years in captivity
Conservation status: Lower risk of extinction.
Primary threat to crocodiles is habitat loss, pollution, hunting and entanglements in fishing nets. Can reach speeds of 40 Km/h in water. Crocodiles are related to dinosaurs and are more closely related to birds than they are to snakes and lizards.
The Nile crocodile is responsible for over 300 human deaths yearly in Africa.
Ekala’s tours and safaris
Different tour/safari options available – historical/cultural/wildlife – structured around your requirements and timing to create a multi day local tour package:
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Surface Motorised Tour – Shafts, Kimberlite dumps, slimes dam, big hole to new operations.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Historical Tour – village to early operations including the black worker compound.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Underground tour – only opportunity for an underground tour in a working mine – underground with the working shift.
- Gold Mine tours – Johannesburg gold history – over 130 years of Johannesburg as one of the biggest gold producers in the world.
- Ann van Dyk – De Wildt Cheetah Sanctuary – cheetah and wild dog experience.
- Elephant Sanctuary – an interaction tour that is compatible with wildlife conservation.
- Monkey Sanctuary – Experiencing primates in a natural environment – NO interactions with these primates.
- Ekala Eco Bird tours – South Africa – one of the most desirable birding areas in the World.
- Soweto Township Cultural tour – Ekala does not invade people’s privacy.
- Alexandra Township tour – part walking tour and part tour in an Alexandra Taxi.
- Lesedi cultural village – Living African Culture – Colourful Culture Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi, Sotho and Ndebele.
- Soweto Historical tour – early 1900’s establishment, through the Apartheid struggle with the major events that played an important part of our history – not only for Soweto but South Africa as a whole.
- Johannesburg Historical tour – from farm land to the world’s biggest gold producer to the backbone of South Africa.
- Freedom Route – South Africa’s Journey to Freedom tour including the life of Nelson Mandela and the struggle against Apartheid.
- Gandhi Tour – Mahatma Gandhi’s Johannesburg heritage tour.
- Liliesleaf historical site including Umkhonto we Sizwe and the Rivonia Trial. Nelson Mandela and others involved in the Rivonia trail and general opposition to Apartheid.
- Pretoria – Historical tour -Colonialism – Boer/British to democracy tour.
- Battlefield tours – South Africa Battlefield Route Tour – Anglo/Boer and Anglo/Zulu and Voortrekker/Zulu
- Pilanesberg Safari – full day private safari or overnight/multi day safari
- Kruger Safari – private safaris with the greater Kruger National Game park.
Other Profeshional tours:
- Constitution Hill including Constitutional Court – Old Fort to Prisons and the Constitutional Court Complex.
- Paleontology tour – Cradle of Humankind including both Maropeng and Sterkfontein Cave with current finds and activities.
- Panoramic route tour – en-route to or from the Kruger.
Commercially run “parks” as the “lion type parks” we do not supply. Far better natural options that are more ecologically friendly and an experience that will be remembered for the right reason. These “parks” may be the cheapest options, but at what cost to the wildlife, specifically the lions.
Ekala Family & Guides
We pride ourselves on our extensive knowledge of South Africa, bringing historical and cultural tours to life! With our vast experience and expertise, we will ensure you leave with a camera full of memories.
We will endeavour to personalise your tour according to individual time and budget specifications.
We personally conduct and organise all our tours and safaris as highly experience and professional guides.
Get an enhanced understanding of South Africa’s history and diverse cultures.
Enjoying and respecting South Africa’s national assets - wildlife, environment and the people.
An Eco Tour and Safari to remember for the right reason