Cullinan – Premier Diamond Mine Tour
Cullinan – Premier Diamond Mine Tour.
Premier/Petra – Cullinan Diamond Mine Surface Walk and Mine Motorized Tour.
Operational Diamond mine tours.
South Africa’s Premier Diamond Mine Tour at the Cullinan Diamond mine
Ekala includes within the comprehensive diamond mine tour we supply in Cullinan, a set time tour that would travel into the secure area of the mine operations.
- Cullinan Mine surface tour – Two options:
- An hour walk – this coveres limited parts of the Cullinan mine and its operations. Due to extensive changes within the mine operations, this walk does not get to the main workings of the mine currently. Thus we will not be offering this in the future.
- Open Vehicle drive – around 1.5 hours – but as you are being driven – covers a huge part of the surface mining operations. Also as the group size is limited to the size of the vehicle – more quality direct contact with your guide that is lost on the walk – specifically in big groups. This goes directly through the new operations/workings.
- More on both these options below.
- With an open pit four times the size of the famous Kimberly hole. Surface tour – underground tour – historical tour – or combination of these as can be covered in the time allocated. Best is the underground tour, this combined with a short surface and historical tour. If going underground is not for you, then the surface motorised tour is the best.
- Ekala certainly recommends the surface drive – in the open vehicle. It complements the tour Ekala is giving far better and covers a greater area of the mine and its operations. Thus able to go more in depth to the mining process and the mines specific operations.
- Cullinan Underground Tour – this does take far more time than the above surface tour – so generally may only fit in a mini historical or mini surface tour.
- Ekala’s Cullinan day tours are generally structured to spend some time covering the area historically. However depends on actual tour booked and time available/allocated.
If for an extended day:
- Pretoria Tour – perfect with the surface tour – but can on occasions do a Pretoria drive through after the underground tour.
- Johannesburg Gold Tour.
- Sammy Marks Museum.
The Cullinan/Premier Diamond Mine is situated 40 km east of Pretoria in the town of Cullinan. Situated within the 200 000 hectares of Dinokeng. Meaning the “place of rivers”, lying in the catchment area of the Olifants and Limpopo Rivers.
In African culture this makes it a sacred place with great healing powers.
Tailor made to your personal requirements and time available. We structure the tour/tours around either the Cullinan surface or Underground tour with items of Johannesburg or Pretoria to create a full day or time available.
Ekala Eco Tours offer you a broad spectrum of options and can deliver according to personal and individual needs. Tours designed to offer choice and flexibility. Combining tours as you require to suit your personal preferences and available time.
The Cullinan – Premier Mine Surface Walk Tour
Not currently viable as covers only a limited part of the mining operations. These limitations within this “walking” tour to fully view the operations does not work out well to include as part of Ekala’s tour. Best is below – the open vehicle drive.
The Cullinan – Premier Mine Motorized Tour:
Journey of the Cullinan diamond. Includes items not included on either the surface or underground tour.
Open Vehicle drive – around 1.5 hours – but as you are being driven – covers a huge part of the surface mining operations.
Including the highest point on the Kimberlite dumps (360 million tons waste material after diamonds have been recovered) and the slimes dam. Ekala certainly recommends the surface drive – in the open vehicle. It complements the tour Ekala is giving far better and covers a greater area of the mine and its operations.
Thus, able to go more in depth to the mining process, mining methods and the geological processes of that are responsible for the creation of diamonds. Recent changes in the mining operations are certainly covered within Ekala’s tours, including the new optical sorting plant and the re-processing of the De Beers diamond mining operations waste dumps.
The Cullinan – Premier Mine Underground Tour:
The adventurous tourists can take an underground tour of a working diamond mine. See separate page for more information on the Cullinan Underground tour.
Daily Cullinan/Premier Mine tours 7 days a week. Underground tour Monday to Saturday.
Cullinan Mine History
The mine was discovered in 1890 and established in 1902 as the premier diamond mine in South Africa. The Cullinan diamond pipe is the oldest diamond pipe in the world and in 1905 was only 9 meters from the surface. The volcanic pipe shaped in the form of a carrot, has a surface area of 42 hectares – approx 40 soccer pitches. In January 1905 the world’s largest rough gem, the Cullinan Diamond at 3,106.75 carats was discovered by the surface manager, Frederick Wells.
The diamond named after the mine owner, Sir Thomas Cullinan. The diamond was cut into many stones including 2 very large diamonds, given to King Edward VII in 1907 on his 66th birthday and forms part of British crown jewels. The diamond was posted to England in normal package post. Over 250 diamonds of over 100 carats have been found in the Cullinan mine including a 101.27 carats diamond, sold for $6.2 million. Diamonds of a total of more than 120 million carats have been mined since this mine was opened.
This is the only site in the world where blue diamonds have been found. In 2003 the mine was renamed the Cullinan Diamond mine and in 2007 it was sold by De Beers (the world’s biggest diamond producer) to Petra Diamonds.
The Mine Today
Today, the Cullinan/Premier Mine’s open pit is four times the size of South Africa’s famous Kimberly diamond hole. It remains a fully operational mine and produces 25% of the entire world’s production of gem quality diamonds.
Purchasing – Buying a Diamond:
Complete your diamond mine experience with a diamond of your own. Buying yourself a fine gem diamond direct from Cullinan where 10 of the world’s most famous diamonds were discovered.
Browse the vast range of diamonds, loose, polished diamonds and diamond jewellery, all manufactured to the highest standards.
Two diamond shops in Cullinan. Ekala discusses in depth the differences between these two shops en-route to the mine. Giving you the best advice and opportunity to get the diamond of your choice, at the best price.
If required, we will certainly assist that you can view and price from both shops to ensure the best overall purchase and price.
Shop for your own fine gem diamond from the dazzling array of diamonds and jewellery. Buy your Diamonds and get it set in distinctive designs of gold or platinum.
14% vat on your diamond purchase can be returned to you on your departure from South Africa.
Diamond mine tour – either on a surface or underground tour – then shop for a piece of history for yourself with a purchase of a Cullinan diamond.
Please ensure you do discuss the buying of a diamond with your Ekala Guide before visiting either of the shops.
Private, Professional and Reliable Tours
Ekala Family & Guides
Ekala Family & Guides
We pride ourselves on our extensive knowledge of South Africa’s history, culture and wildlife.
With our vast experience and expertise, we will ensure you leave with a camera full of memories.
We will endeavour to personalise your tour according to individual time and requirements.
We personally conduct and organise all our tours and safaris as highly experience and professional guides.
Get an enhanced understanding of South Africa’s wildlife, history and diverse cultures.
No prices on our website due to the unique, individual and specialised requirements for each tour.
We structure our tours/safari's around our client’s individual requirements.
If time is limited:
We will structure the tour from arrival to departure – including airport collection and drop off.
Using all time available as a fully guided professional tour.
Not simply a point to point mixed group drive around.
We quote based on your specific requirements.
Enjoying and respecting South Africa’s national assets – wildlife, environment and the people.
An Historical/Cultural tour and Safari to remember for the right reason