Origins Centre Tour
“A Museum in Africa for the people of the world”
Wits Origins Centre showcases the origins of Homo Sapiens in Africa and the movement of Humankind into all areas of the world.
Visit the Origins Centre in Johannesburg.
World-class facility located on the University of Witwatersrand (Wits) campus as part of the Archaeology Department. A tour through the story of the emergence of human beings and humanity in Southern Africa. Ex-President Thabo Mbeki acknowledged that for the first time in South Africa, archaeology can be appreciated by the public in a practical manner.
Africa – where humans first originated and where the very items that are humanity, art, language, technology and symbolism first developed.
Ekala Eco Tours offer the Origins Centre as part of a full day Johannesburg tour.
However only covered in a day tour if specificaly requested.
South Africa’s rich and complex past with visitors being taken through an extraordinary tour aided by cutting-edge technology and creative vision by South Africa’s foremost artists.
The tour through first section of origins centre showcases origins of Homo sapiens in Africa and movement of humankind into all areas of the world. There are displays of tools made by early man as well as moulds of the skeletal features of hominid species.
Second section of the museum covers evolution of art, symbolism, technology and language in Africa. Exhibitions, film, holograms, and touch screens accompanied by narratives bring to life the heritage of people the San (Bushman), whose genetic DNA print has been linked to early Homo sapiens (160 000 years ago). Their rock art, ancient tools, belief systems and dances, including the intensely spiritual Great Dance are explored.
Exhibit at the museum demonstrates how genetic testing contributes to our understanding of human evolution.
The Origins Centre
Understanding the development of humanity in South Africa and the World.
Boasts an extensive collection of rock art from Wits Art Research Institute. You can see the earliest image made by man, which was found here in South Africa. Second phase of the museum will focus on the fossil discovered in South Africa and the contribution these fossils have made to understanding development of humanity.
The displays will centre on the country’s four billion-year-old fossil record, the oldest evidence of life on earth. Average museum experience lasts from between 90 minutes to 2 hours, but for the enthusiast, there is a wealth of extra multi-media material on Africa’s past.
Audio guides come with the price of admission and are available in six languages – Zulu, Sotho, English, Afrikaans, French and German.
Fossils from the Karoo and the Cradle of Humankind, South Africa.
James Kitching Paleontology Museum
A small museum of paleontology on the East Campus of the University of the Witwatersrand (short walk from the origins centre). The museum boasts “wall-to-wall” – missing links, featuring a model of the Taung skull and several almost complete skeletons.
The museums fossils come mostly from South Africa, in particular, Karoo and the Cradle of Humankind.
The Origins Centre Museum motto:
“We are who we are because of who we were”.
Different tour/safari options available – historical/cultural/wildlife – structured around your requirements and timing to create a multi day local tour package:
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Surface Motorised Tour – Shafts, Kimberlite dumps, slimes dam, big hole to new operations.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Historical Tour – village to early operations including the black worker compound.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Underground tour – only opportunity for an underground tour in a working mine – underground with the working shift.
- Gold Mine tours – Johannesburg gold history – over 130 years of Johannesburg as one of the biggest gold producers in the world.
- Ann van Dyk – De Wildt Cheetah Sanctuary – cheetah and wild dog experience.
- Elephant Sanctuary – an interaction tour that is compatible with wildlife conservation.
- Monkey Sanctuary – Experiencing primates in a natural environment – NO interactions with these primates.
- Ekala Eco Bird tours – South Africa – one of the most desirable birding areas in the World.
- Soweto Township Cultural tour – Ekala does not invade people’s privacy.
- Alexandra Township tour – part walking tour and part tour in an Alexandra Taxi.
- Lesedi cultural village – Living African Culture – Colourful Culture Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi, Sotho and Ndebele.
- Soweto Historical tour – early 1900’s establishment, through the Apartheid struggle with the major events that played an important part of our history – not only for Soweto but South Africa as a whole.
- Johannesburg Historical tour – from farm land to the world’s biggest gold producer to the backbone of South Africa.
- Freedom Route – South Africa’s Journey to Freedom tour including the life of Nelson Mandela and the struggle against Apartheid.
- Gandhi Tour – Mahatma Gandhi’s Johannesburg heritage tour.
- Liliesleaf historical site including Umkhonto we Sizwe and the Rivonia Trial. Nelson Mandela and others involved in the Rivonia trail and general opposition to Apartheid.
- Pretoria – Historical tour -Colonialism – Boer/British to democracy tour.
- Battlefield tours – South Africa Battlefield Route Tour – Anglo/Boer and Anglo/Zulu and Voortrekker/Zulu
- Pilanesberg Safari – full day private safari or overnight/multi day safari
- Kruger Safari – private safaris with the greater Kruger National Game park.
Other Profeshional tours:
- Constitution Hill including Constitutional Court – Old Fort to Prisons and the Constitutional Court Complex.
- Paleontology tour – Cradle of Humankind including both Maropeng and Sterkfontein Cave with current finds and activities.
- Panoramic route tour – en-route to or from the Kruger.
Commercially run “parks” as the “lion type parks” we do not supply. Far better natural options that are more ecologically friendly and an experience that will be remembered for the right reason. These “parks” may be the cheapest options, but at what cost to the wildlife, specifically the lions.
Ekala Family & Guides
Ekala Family & Guides
We pride ourselves on our extensive knowledge of South Africa’s history, culture and wildlife.
With our vast experience and expertise, we will ensure you leave with a camera full of memories.
We will endeavour to personalise your tour according to individual time and requirements.
We personally conduct and organise all our tours and safaris as highly experience and professional guides.
Get an enhanced understanding of South Africa’s wildlife, history and diverse cultures.
Enjoying and respecting South Africa’s national assets - wildlife, environment and the people.
An Eco Tour and Safari to remember for the right reason
No prices on our website due to the unique, individual and specialised requirements for each tour.
We structure our tours/safari's around our client’s individual requirements.
If time is limited:
We will structure the tour from arrival to departure – including airport collection and drop off.
Using all time available as a fully guided professional tour.
Not simply a point to point mixed group drive around.
We quote based on your specific requirements.