Gold Reef City Gold Tour
Mine gold tour – Gold Reef City
Gold Reef City – Underground mine gold tour – Johannesburg gold mining in its heyday.
With Ekala – indeed more than simply a set time gold tour.
Gold Reef City – Gold Mine History
The Golf Reef City theme park is situated on a 10Ha site which surrounds the then number 14 shaft at Crown Mines. Indeed this 19th century gold mine produced 1.4 million kilograms of gold before closing in the 70’s.
The shaft was opened in 1897, thus only 11 years after Johannesburg was established and was part of the gold reef stretching 100 km from Boksburg in the east to Randfontein in the west.
This made the Gold Reef City shaft 14 the world’s then richest producer of gold, 1.4 million kilograms over its 90 year life span.
This shaft was then at its time, one of the deepest gold mines and worked by 30 000 miners.
Tour takes you back in time with a first hand look at an old mining town, as well as the vibrant life of such a gold town.
A miner’s language (Fanagalo) was developed in 1910. This then enabled the miners from different cultures to communicate.
Fanagolo was simplistic consisting of only 2000 words relevant to gold mining, however 25% of these were swear words.
For the miners, this was a tough way to earn a living with the heat, dampness, darkness and additionally the ear shattering noise of the drills.
Lighting was by candle-light, thus posing a continued risk of explosion due to the presence of methane gas.
Donkeys pulled the gold laden coco pans, staying down the mine for three months before then going blind.
There is gold remaining in the mine, however the price of gold at the time the mine closed, made it uneconomical to remove.
The lower levels of the mine are currently flooded – 19th level to the 57th level. Thus underground gold tours are conducted only up to the 5th level.
Thus traveling down a Gold Mine shaft – Gold Reef City
Gold Reef Shaft No 14, in production for 84 years – 1887 to 1971 and indeed, at its time, the deepest mine in the world.
Then travel down the Gold Mine shaft (under 5 years not allowed) in a large clangy lift to level 5 – 720 feet (226 meters) for a guided mine gold tour.
Walk down tunnels with a hard hat and a torch in hand and so experience the tough conditions that the gold miners had to endure.
Experience a short burst from a miners drill, this will accordingly give you an understanding as to why the miners would go deaf without ear plugs.
Then see the mine manager’s office with the miner’s identity box. This then helped identify missing miners.
Follow the coco pan tracks past the red dynamite box and get a view up a 35 degree slope with little head room and then wooden steps that lead to the surface of the mine in the event of a power failure.
Once back on the surface you experience daily demonstrations of pouring molten gold into gleaming bars of bullion and traditional miner’s gumboot dances on visiting the then mine manager’s house.
Additionally see how coins were pressed in the past and a museum dedicated to gold mining.
Gold Reef City – Mining Town Theme Park
The mining town has been reconstructed to capture the gold rush era times of the then early Johannesburg.
A comprehensive depiction of life in a turn of the century mining town. Including period houses and colourful street entertainment, hence discovering for yourself as to how the gold miners worked and played.
Staff wear period costumes and you can additionally have your picture taken in a period costume. Enjoy a beer in the saloon, then take a stroll through the animal farm or a ride on a steam train.
In addition a penny farthing cycle and a horse drawn carriage around the mine village.
The international appeal of the Gold Reef City amusement and theme park with its depiction of nineteenth century gold mining life is seen daily by a large number of tourists.
Johannesburg is one of the most popular cities in Africa and is also the continents economic powerhouse.
Its history is based solely around the discovery of gold and this park brings the gold tour to life with a glimpse into the economic development of Johannesburg and its gold mining.
Travel back in time with a first hand look at an old mining town.
Gold Reef City – Gold Mine Underground Tour – Mining Town – Helicopter Tour.
Gold Reef City Tours.
Ekala’s gold tours are private – thus each Gold Reef City component that we cover can be uniquely designed/included in a Johannesburg gold mining tour for an individual experience.
Underground gold tour not available Mondays and Tuesdays. Nevertheless Ekala does still structure other mining tours on these days as the Cullinan Mine underground or surface tour or other items of our Johannesburg gold history tour.
Helicopter flight over Johannesburg and/or Soweto however only available over weekends and holidays.
Inclusions for a day or multi day gold tour package need to be detailed in the enquiry to enable us to accordingly structure the package as required.
If you are going to Gold Reef City yourself for the underground gold mine tour – then you need to book directly with Gold Reef City.
Ekala only includes the underground gold tour in our specialised gold tours and not for someone traveling to Gold Reef City themselves.
The Gold Reef City complex is indeed made up of various components.
- Gold Reef City Casino.
- Apartheid Museum – generally included as part of a Johannesburg and Soweto tour.
- Gold Reef City – Gold Mining town with Amusement and Theme Park.
- Underground Gold Mine tour. Accordingly included in Ekala’s gold tours – mining
- Helicopter flight – Johannesburg CBD – Soweto – optional extra on a Johannesburg tour
Gold Reef City – travel back to look at an early Johannesburg gold mine.
The only components that Ekala Eco Tours may include in a day or multi day tour:
- Apartheid Museum (details on separate page).
- Underground Gold Mine Tour – Crown Mines Shaft 14 – further information on gold mine tours.
- Helicopter flight – Johannesburg – Soweto – only if accordingly requested/included/quoted as part of a Johannesburg multi day package.
- Consequently depends on actual tour booked with requirements/timing/time available. Accordingly detailed on quote or booking confirmation.
Private, professional and reliable tailor made mine gold tours
Best ability to contact Ekala for gold mining tours:
Then will respond within 24 hours. Actually in most cases less. However depend on time differences.
Additionally Cell phones do create some problems. Due to time difference or because we may all be on tour and thus unable to answer your call at that time. Thus email works perfectly.
Furthermore difficult to deal with tour specifics on a cell phone.
Different tour/safari options available - historical/cultural/wildlife - structured around your requirements and timing to create a multi day local tour package:
- General local Johannesburg/Pretoria tours and safaris Pilanesberg and Kruger
- Mine Tours - gold and diamonds - surface and underground.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Surface Motorised Tour - Shafts, Kimberlite dumps, slimes dam, big hole to new operations.
- Mine Historical Tour - Cullinan Diamond village to early operations including the black worker compound.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine Underground tour - only opportunity for an underground tour in a working mine - underground with the working shift.
- Gold Mine tours - Johannesburg gold history - over 130 years of Johannesburg as one of the biggest gold producers in the world.
- Ann van Dyk - De Wildt Cheetah Sanctuary - cheetah and wild dog experience.
- Elephant Sanctuary - an interaction tour that is compatible with wildlife conservation.
- Monkey Sanctuary - Experiencing primates in a natural environment - NO interactions with these primates.
- Ekala Eco Bird tours - South Africa – one of the most desirable birding areas in the World.
- Soweto Township Cultural tour - Ekala does not invade people's privacy.
- Alexandra Township tour - part walking tour and part tour in an Alexandra Taxi.
- Lesedi cultural village - Living African Culture - Colourful Culture Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi, Sotho and Ndebele.
- Soweto Historical tour - early 1900's establishment, through the Apartheid struggle with the major events that played an important part of our history - not only for Soweto but South Africa as a whole.
- Johannesburg Historical tour - from farm land to the world's biggest gold producer to the backbone of South Africa.
- Freedom Route - South Africa’s Journey to Freedom tour including the life of Nelson Mandela and the struggle against Apartheid.
- Gandhi Tour - Mahatma Gandhi’s Johannesburg heritage tour.
- Liliesleaf historical site including Umkhonto we Sizwe and the Rivonia Trial. Nelson Mandela and others involved in the Rivonia trial and general opposition to Apartheid.
- Pretoria - Historical tour - Colonialism - Boer/British to democracy tour.
- Battlefield tours - South Africa Battlefield Route Tour – Anglo/Boer and Anglo/Zulu and Voortrekker/Zulu
- Pilanesberg Safari - full day private safari or overnight/multi day safari
- Kruger Safari - private safaris with the greater Kruger National Game park.
Other Professional tours:
- Constitution Hill including Constitutional Court - Old Fort to Prisons and the Constitutional Court Complex.
- Paleontology tour - Cradle of Humankind including both Maropeng and Sterkfontein Cave with current finds and activities.
- Panorama route tour - en-route to or from the Kruger.
Ekala’s Gold Reef City gold tours can then be adapted to the client’s individual needs.
Accordingly we accommodate specific and personal requirements.
Tailor made gold mining tour experiences that cater for solo travellers, couples, families and group tours.
Ekala Family & Guides
Ekala family & mine tour guides
We pride ourselves on our extensive knowledge of South Africa’s gold mining history.
Thus we focus were our experience and expertise lies – in South Africa only.
Highly Experienced Guides
Accordingly with our vast experience and expertise, we will bring the historical mine tour to life.
Additionally sharing our love and knowledge of South Africa’s wildlife and national game parks.
Ensuring as a result, you leave full of the best memories.
Private gold tours
Thus Ekala will endeavor to personalise your tour mining package according to individual requirements/interests as well as available time .
Furthermore Ekala personally conducts and organises all our gold tours
As highly experience and professional guides.
Consequently you get an enhanced understanding of South Africa’s wildlife, history and diverse cultures.
Thus the best South African Experience
Take a sightseeing Helicopter flight over Soweto and Johannesburg.
Helicopter flight over Johannesburg and/or Soweto. Great opportunity for photos and a greater view of Johannesburg.
Inclusion in tour generally only available over weekends.
Must be asked for in the tour enquiry, thus enabling us to structure the gold tour and price correctly.